STAINED GLASS FACILITIES
The staging area for final review needs a lot of natural light.
Question: Why did someone replace the top floor of 116 Saint Botolph (on the Durham Street corner) with a large, angular, metal enclosure?
Answer: Because this was a stained glass manufacturing facility, and it needed a proper assembly space to create magnificent, over-sized stained glass windows!
Until 1987, there were two of these unusual and ungainly structures in the Saint Botolph neighborhood. The Connick and O’Duggan workshops both had these top-floor staging areas.
They needed well-lit display spaces to assemble, display, & quality-check large pieces before shipping.
These workshops were national leaders in crafting large, top-quality, stained glass windows between 1913 and 1986.This business required the unusual top-floor modifications of 116 St. Botolph Street and just four blocks down the street at 9 Harcourt Street.
Together, these two buildings were a key part of the engine that created our Stained Glass Row. St. Botolph windows are installed as far away as Honolulu, Paris, and Manilla.
Who knows, could the last remaining third-floor stained glass display space be eligible for designation as an historic monument of some kind?
Many church windows are too big
for most stained glass workshops.
and the O’Duggan workshops
along Saint Botolph
their top floors,